The following are safeguards you can use to reduce the risk of someone accessing personal and organizational data when your mobile device is lost or stolen.
What you need to know:
- Plug your device into the charger before encryption.
- If you interrupt the process, you will lose some or all of your data.
|IOS version 4.0 or higher with a passcode set will automatically be encrypted.To configure a passcode for your device:
- Tap Settings > General > Passcode.
- Follow the prompts to create a passcode.
- After the passcode is set, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and verify that “Data protection is enabled” is visible.
See Apple support to enable data protection: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202064
|Android version 4.4 or above can be encrypted with a built in “Encrypt your phone” functionality.To turn on the encryption:
- Set a lock screen PIN, pattern, or password.
- Open the Settings menu on your device.
- Under “Personal,” touch Security.
- Under “Encryption,” touch Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone.
- Read the information about encryption carefully.
- Touch Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone. Warning: If you interrupt the encryption process before it’s completed, you will lose some or all of your data.
- Enter your lock screen PIN, pattern, or password and touch Continue.
- Touch Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone again.